Sunday, May 10, 2015

Life Planning: Time to Get My Groove Back

So March and April were kind of a write off for me. I hit my weight goals, but really fell off the fitness and training band wagons hard. I really want to get back in high gear to make sure that this is the best, most active summer of my life and that I am fully prepared for starting school in the fall.

So...I am going back to ground zero: Life Planning.

Most of the time, I have a routine that allows me to really not overthink things. I can eat pretty much what I want to, because I am eating well as a whole. I can work out as much as I want to, because I work out generally every day. I feel in control of my life and of my choices...

But lately, I have lost that sense of self control. I am feeling undisciplined. I am feeling myself slipping.

Again, this isn't about 'weight'- I'm still losing at roughly the same rate that I have been from the get go. But the choices that I am making in order *to* lose that weight aren't as wholistic and positive as they used to be. And I am no longer enjoying the process, which is a sure sign that it is time to change things up.

As a business consultant, I often talk to businesses that are in a 'rut'. Whether their sales have slowed, their growth has stalled or they are struggling with launching the next phase of their plan, most businesses don't call in a consultant unless things aren't going as smoothly as possible.

My first step in almost every case is to pull them back to the drawing board- literally- and do some strategic planning.  Revisiting a company's goals, mission, vision, values, and strategies (financial, marketing, personnel/HR etc.) is often exactly what is needed in order to get back on the right path and create objectives and benchmarks that are relevant and realistic.

After all, as important as goals are (and they are), they don't serve much purpose if they are driving you in the wrong direction, or steering you into a circle.

My experience with health and wellness has been that, like with business, this is all too often the case. Our goals don't always actually reflect where we want to go, how we want to get there and who we want to be when we reach them.  We just arbitrarily pick things that we *think* should be our goals without actually asking ourselves why we are choosing that particular path.

It really is this simple: As well thought out and SMART as your goals may be, if they aren't actually furthering your larger vision for yourself, then they are taking you down the wrong path.  

Many of the same principles of strategic planning can apply easily to personal planning and self-development.  Over the course of the next seven weeks, I will share with you as I take on the process of resetting myself, discovering my next priorities, goals, objectives, strategies and tactics, and creating a plan that will steer me safely and happily towards the next stage of my life.

If you are interested, feel free to follow along. When possible, I will provide some templates and give you some of the tools that you can use to work your way through this process with me.  I will have a post a week, each one taking you through a section of the planning process. If you want to create your own plan, I strongly suggest opening up a blog space of your own or dedicating a journal to it, so that you have somewhere to record your plan as you progress with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment